982 entries were submitted for MGP 2016 and the producer and X-factor-judge "Cutfather" had the responsibility to choose the 10 songs and artists. The public broadcaster Danmarks Radio (DR) is responsible for MGP.
MGP 2016 songs
- David Jay – "Rays of Sunlight"
- Simone – "Heart Shaped Hole"
- Bracelet – "Breakaway"
- Sophia Nohr – "Blue Horizon"
- Veronicas Illusion – "The Wrong Kind"
- Lighthouse X – "Soldiers of Love"
- Kristel Lisberg – "Who Needs a Heart"
- Jessica – "Break it Good"
- Muri & Mario – "To Stjerner"
- Anja Nissen – "Never Alone"
The producer and X-factor-judge "Cutfather" had the responsibility to choose the 10 songs and artists that will compete for the ticket to Stockholm 2016. Download the Scorecard for MGP 2016
There will be two rounds of voting in MGP 2016:
In the first round, all the songs are performed, and the viewers can vote via SMS or with an app (AppStore and Google Play) developed for Melodi Grand Prix 2016. The televoting combined 50/50 with the votes from an expert jury decide the three songs to proceed to the next round.
In the second round, the top-three songs are performed again, and now it is solely the viewers who decide who the winner of Melodi Grand Prix 2016 is.
- Vicky Leander (Choreographer)
- Christina Chanée (Singer, Denmark 2010)
- Mette Thorning Svendsen (MGP & Eurovision Fan)
- John Gordon (Songwriter, Germany 2010)
- Dennis Johannesson (Radio host)
Johann Sørensen (OGAE Denmark president)(disqualified)
Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2016 will be held in Forum Horsens on 13 February 2016, 20:00 CET. Forum Horsens has a capacity of 4,000 in the audience. Horsens hosted Melodi Grand Prix in 2005, 2007 and 2008.
You can watch MGP live on Saturday 13 February at 20:00 CET: dr.dk
MGP 2016 Trivia
MGP 2016 has - until now - been hit by three weird incidents:
- The ten songs for this year's Dansk Melodi Grand Prix have accidentally been leaked on Spotify 16 days before the official presentation
- The song "Never Alone" by Anja Nissen was in danger of being disqualified because it was performed at several public concerts by the songwriter and former Eurovision-winner, Emmelie de Forest. The song has been approved by EBU if it should win MGP 2016
- The president of OGAE Denmark, Johann Sørensen, had a seat in the jury, but DR chose to disqualify him as a jury member because of an interview in a Danish newspaper
Worst result was in 2002 (last). Since the introduction of the Semi-finals in Eurovision in 2004, Denmark has qualified for the Grand Final 9 out of 12 times.