10 May 2016
12 May 2016
|Votes in Semi-final 1:|
|Votes in Semi-final 2:|
The allocation draw took place on 25 January 2016 at the City Hall in Stockholm.
Facts about the allocation draw
- 43 countries participate in Eurovision Song Contest 2016
- 6 of the countries were pre-qualified for the Grand Final (Big-5 and host)
- The first Semi-final will have 18 participants and the second will have 19
- Israel will be performing in the second semi final on 12 May to avoid clash with Memorial Day on 10 May
- The 37 countries were distributed into 6 allocation draw pots based on the voting pattern between them to avoid neighbor voting
- After a country was drawn, a second draw determined whether that country will participate in the first or second part of the semi-final
- The six countries pre-qualified for the Grand Final (Big-5 and Sweden) were also drawn to decide in which semi-final these countries will vote
- The final running order will be decided later by the producer and broadcaster, SVT, and approved by EBU
Allocation Draw Pots
To ensure a fair voting and competition, the 37 countries were distributed into 5 Draw Pots, based on the voting pattern to avoid too much neighbour voting.
- Albania, FYR Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Denmark, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Estonia, Latvia
- Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine
- Belgium, Cyprus, Greece, Australia, The Netherlands, Bulgaria
- Czech Republic, Lithuania, Ireland, Malta, Poland, San Marino
- Austria, Hungary, Israel (pre-assigned to Semi-final 2), Moldova, Romania, Switzerland
How was the draw made?
There draw was divided into two parts:
- Which pre-qualified countries vote in which Semi-final?
- The first part determined which of the six pre-qualified countries (Big 5: France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, and host: Sweden) will broadcast and vote in which of the two Semi-finals
- Germany has been pre-assigned to broadcast and vote in Semi-final 2
- Sweden has been pre-assigned to broadcast and vote in Semi-final 1
- Who's in which Semi-final?
- The second part determined in which of the two Semi-finals (and in which half) each country will participate in
- Israel has been pre-assigned to Semi-final 2, so a draw was made to determine if Israel shall perform in the first or second half of Semi-final 2. So there were now 36 countries left in the draw
- The first six countries for Semi-final 1 were drawn: From each of the six allocation draw pots, a country was drawn, and after each country, a second draw determined if the country will perform in the first half or in the second half of Semi-final 1.
- The first six countries for Semi-final 2 were then drawn (same recipe as the six for Semi-final 1)
- This continued six times, until each of the 36 countries had been allocated in one of the two Semi-finals
Host Insignia Exchange
Before the allocation draw the Host Insignia Exchange took place. Here the Executive City Councillor for Cultural Affairs of Vienna, Dr. Andreas Mailath-Pokorny, handed over the "Eurovision Keys" to the mayor of Stockholm, Ms. Karin Wanngård.