Emma was the clear favorite to win UMK 2017 since the songs were revealed. Both among bookmakers, polls and she also won the online voting for UMK.
The band Norma John won both the international jury and the public votes.
Norma John's victory was determined by 50% public voting (online voting and televoting during the show), and 50% international juries.
Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2017 – Results
- Norma John – "Blackbird" (182 points)
- Zühlke – "Perfect Villain" (145 points)
- Emma – "Circle of Light" (106 points)
- My First Band – "Paradise" (97 points)
- Günther & D'Sanz – "Love Yourself" (82 points)
- Alva – "Arrows" (63 points)
- Anni Saikku – "Reach Out for the Sun" (59 points)
- Lauri Yrjölä – "Helppo elämä" (58 points)
- Club La Persé – "My Little World" (50 points)
- Knucklebone Oscar & The Shangri-La Rubies – "Caveman" (18 points)
Lasse Piirainen and Leena Tirronen have known each other since high school, and together they form the indie pop duo with the name Norma John.
Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2017
Since the first UMK in 2012 there have been some changes to the format. The biggest change for UMK 2017 is that there were no semi-finals. Instead the ten participants competed only once on 28 January 2017 live from Espoo Metro Areena. UMK 2017 was hosted by Krista Siegfrieds (Finland 2013).
The winner was determined by 50% public voting (online voting and televoting) and 50% international juries.
The International juries were from Estonia, France, Iceland, Israel, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine and the United Kingdom.