Five of the Six finalists have decided to perform their songs in English in the final. The final of Söngvakeppnin 2016 will be held on Saturday 20 February, 21:00 CET: Live-streaming.
Söngvakeppnin 2016 Finalists
- Greta Salóme - "Hear them calling" ("Raddirnar")
- Hjörtur Traustason & Erna Hrönn Ólafsdóttir - "I promised you then" ("Hugur minn er")
- Karlotta Sigurðardóttir - "Eye of the storm" ("Óstöðvandi")
- Þórdís Borgarsdóttir & Guðmundur Sigurðarson – "Ready to break free" ("Spring yfir heiminn")
- Elísabet Ormslev – "Á ný"
- Alda Dís Arnardóttir – "Now" ("Augnablik")
Six songs competed in each semi-final, and three songs from each qualified to the final. The six songs that didn't qualify from one of the semi-finals got a second chance to go to the final. After the second semi-final, an expert jury awards one of the eliminated songs a wildcard to the final. All three shows will be broadcasted live.
Iceland's debut in Eurovision Song Contest was back in 1986, and has been participating 28 times since. Best result are two second-places with Yohanna in 2009 and Selma in 1999.
Iceland is the only Northern European country that has yet to win the Eurovision Song Contest.