Söngvakeppnin 2016 songs
- Sigga Eyrún – "Kreisí" (Crazy)
- Helgi Valur Ásgeirsson – "Óvær" (Uneasy)
- Erna Mist & Magnús Thorlacius – "Ótöluð orð" (Unspoken words)
- Erna Hrönn Ólafsdóttir & Hjörtur Traustason – "Hugur minn er" (My mind is)
- Þórdís Birna Borgarsdóttir & Guðmundur Snorri Sigurðarson – "Spring yfir heiminn" (All over the world)
- Alda Dís Arnardóttir – "Augnablik" (One Moment)
- Karlotta Sigurðardóttir – "Óstöðvandi" (Unstoppable)
- Ingólfur Þórarinsson – "Fátækur námsmaður" (A broke student)
- Elísabet Ormslev – "Á ný" (Again)
- Greta Salome Stefánsdóttir – "Raddirnar" (The Voices)
- Sigríður Eir Zophoniasardóttir & Jóhanna Vala Höskuldsdóttir – "Ég sé þig" (I see you)
- Pálmi Gunnarsson – "Ég leiði þig heim" (I lead you home)
6 February: Semi-final 1
13 February: Semi-final 2
20 February: Final
Six songs will compete in each semi-final, and three songs from each will qualify to the final. The six songs that didn't qualify from one of the semi-finals get a second chance to go to the final. After the second semi-final, an expert jury will award one of the eliminated songs a wildcard to the final. All three shows will be broadcasted live.
Just like last year, all the songs must be performed in Icelandic language at the semi-finals of Söngvakeppnin. If a song proceeds to the final of Söngvakeppnin the song shall be performed in the language intended for Eurovision Song Contest 2016 in Stockholm.
Iceland's debut in Eurovision Song Contest was back in 1986, and has been participating 28 times since. Best result are two second-places with Yohanna in 2009 and Selma in 1999.
Iceland is the only Northern European country that has yet to win the Eurovision Song Contest.