Gina Dirawi hosted Melodifestivalen 2012 and 2013 with huge success. Both years she was awarded "Best female TV host" in Sweden. She will get help from some very talented personalities:
- Petra Mede hosted Melodifestivalen 2009, Eurovision Song Contest 2013 and Eurovision Song Contest Greatest Hits 2015 together with Graham Norton. Petra Mede will co-host deltävling 1.
- Charlotte Perrelli has participated in Melodifestivalen three times:
1999: "Tusen och en natt" (won Melodifestivalen AND Eurovision 1999 with "Take me to your Heaven")
2008: "Hero" (won Melodifestivalen, finished 18th in Eurovision 2008)
2012: "The Girl"
Hosted Melodifestivalen 2003 and 2004. Charlotte Perrelli will co-host deltävling 2.
- Henrik Schyffert is a Swedish comedian. He hosted the second deltävling (round) of Melodifestivalen 2005. Henrik will co-host deltävling 3.
- Sarah Dawn Finer participated in Melodifestivalen 2007 and 2009, and she presented the Swedish votes at Eurovision Song Contest 2009 and 2012. She played a big role during Eurovision 2013 in Malmö in a series of sketches as Lynda Woodruff, EBU spokesperson, and performed the ABBA song "The Winner Takes It All". Sarah will co-host deltävling 4.
- Ola Salo represented Sweden at Eurovision Song Contest 2007 with the song "The Worrying Kind", together with the band "The Ark". Ola will co-host the "second chance" together with Gina Dirawi and Peter Jöback.
- Peter Jöback is a very well known singer in Sweden. He has been participating in Melodifestivalen twice: 1990 with "En sensation" and in 2010 with "Hollow". Peter will co-host the "second chance" together with Gina Dirawi and Ola Salo.
- William Spetz is a 19 year old Swedish comedian. He became known through his YouTube blog and has since made several humor series on SVT. William will co-host the Final of Melodifestivalen 2016.
- 6 February: Melodifestivalen Deltävling 1, Gothenburg (Scandinavium)
- 13 February: Melodifestivalen Deltävling 2, Malmö (Malmö Arena)
- 20 February: Melodifestivalen Deltävling 3, Norrköping (Himmelstalundshallen)
- 27 February: Melodifestivalen Deltävling 4, Gävle (Gavlerinken Arena)
- 5 March: Melodifestivalen Second chance, Halmstad (Halmstad Arena)
- 12 March: Melodifestivalen Final, Stockholm (Friends Arena)
The format for Melodifestivalen 2016 is the same as last year:
Each of the 4 heats qualifies 2 songs directly to the final
Each of the 4 heats qualifies 2 songs to the "second chance"-show
In the "second chance" 4 songs will be selected for the final
- 1974: Abba - "Waterloo"
- 1984: Herreys - "Diggi-loo Diggy-ley"
- 1991: Carola - "Fångad Av En Stormvind"
- 1999: Charlotte Nilsson - "Take Me To Your Heaven"
- 2012: Loreen - "Euphoria"
- 2015: Måns Zelmerlöw - "Heroes"
They came last two times (1963 and 1977), and since the introduction of the Semi-finals in 2004 Sweden managed to qualify for the Grand Final 11 out of 12 times! (only skipped the qualification in 2010).